Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Sear your nose: Mustard

My sister has a recipe for sweet, hot mustard she shared with me years and years ago.  We have it on Thanksgiving and Christmas on what ever meat we're having.  It's really sensational on almost any kind of meat.  I really like it on sausages too.

I'll give you the original recipe and my changes to make it low carb. 

  • 1 - 2oz Can of mustard flour (or powder), Coleman's is one brand.  
    • Nowadays I buy it in bulk from the health food store, cheaper that way.
  • 1 Cup of Malt Vinegar
    • I don't use malt vinegar any longer due to my gluten sensitivity.  Apple cider, red wine and other vinegars are just as good.
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 Cup of sugar
    • Obviously I don't use sugar any longer.  I use a combination of sweeteners or Splenda.
 Mix well (I use my blender) and cook while whisking in a double boiler until thickened.  Around 150-160 degrees.

OR

 Now you can hate me a bit if you don't have a Sous Vide... put in your Sous Vide bath for 20 minutes or so at 150 degrees.  Voila!  No whisking like a maniac.  I'm definitely going to be eating this hot, sweet mustard a lot more often now that I've seen how easy it is to do by sous vide.

No comments: