Saturday, April 10, 2010

Berry Shortcake

Cranberry Walnut Bread, remember that recipe I posted awhile back?  Well, it is very versatile.  I made a "shortbread" out of it, kind of like my Mom always made it.  Sort of biscuit-y tasting, not sweet, really meant to sop up the juices from sweetened berries.

The way I did it was to use the basic recipe but omit the cranberries and walnuts and cut down on the sweetener and used lemon juice (only a little) instead of lemon extract.  Then I baked it in a cake round instead of a loaf pan, mostly because my loaf pan was a scratched up rusty mess and I had to get rid of it.

Then, I defrost, or warm, my berries (I have blueberries and raspberries on hand) and pour them on top of a slice of shortcake.  Dollop on a globule of lemon custard and, if you're doing dairy, either some sour cream (which is what my family liked on shortcake) or whipped cream.

I'll post a picture later.

No comments: